This is our CTO at FusionWare Robert Houben's thoughts on the article.
Robert is the Grandfather of ODBC, he created the first published ODBC
driver outside of Microsoft and has been creating integration products
for the Multivalue database since the early 80's, anyone remember PK
Harmony.

Enjoy!

So here is the real problem.  The author of the article explains why the
multivalues make life so much easier for developers, then tries to
explain why they are bad anyways.  Here is the snippet where he does
this:

"Fair enough. So let's look at an intensely practical reason why
multi-valued fields are so bad. We query databases using SQL. The design
of SQL is based entirely on the assumption that each column contains
atomic values. If we run a normal SQL query against our single table
solution:

SELECT FName FROM CUSTOMER
WHERE Hobby = "Rollerball"
It will return zero rows; despite the fact that one of our customers
plays rollerball, because there is no row with a field just containing
"rollerball"."
----- end of quote -----

So this is the problem with his logic.  The SQL SELECT statement was
designed to work within the constraints of a single-valued
first-normal-form environment.  To predicate an argument against
multivalues on the basis of a query language that assumes their
non-existence is disingenuous.  I'm surprised that a thinking person
would do this.  As *we* know, users can build very powerful, complex
queries using the PICK LIST/SELECT syntax that accounts for multivalues,
and the above observation is just plain bogus.

There are other things wrong with the article, but the most compelling
issue is that with the emergence of XML as a mechanism for processing
complex data sets, multivalues have been reintroduced and are here to
stay.  If you look at it, both XPath and XQuery "understand" multivalues
and allow you to build complex predicates that operate at the multi,
sub, and sub-sub level.  There are at this point MANY data environments
where this takes place, including the DataSet object in ADO.NET and
proprietary data objects from other vendors, which use XML as the
underlying structure and allow nesting to take place.  What Microsoft is
doing with Access is simply to recognize the reality that many
developers are already using XML to work around.  The author's claim
that "we query data with SQL" is no longer true.  I would argue that
XPath and XQuery are emerging as powerful, standards-based alternate
query languages.  Ignore them at your peril!