Steven,

Take a look at Jakarta Commons Pool: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/pool/

As above, Uniobjects can be put in any generic pool but not a db pool
like jakarta dbcp.  This is specifically for pooling jdbc connections
although it uses commons pool to provide the pooling mechanism
underneath.

The standard way is to include a servlet in your webapp configured to
load in startup.  That has the pool and some syncronized accessor
methods to check in and out connections.

Once opon a time someone posted source code for a servlet based uoj
connections pool, maybe try the archives.  As Brian said, IBM are
rolling out their own pool in UOJ (this is included in ud7.1 but I
havn't played with it yet).

Trying to keep UniSessions connected, making sure they got cleaned up
properly, etc., was more trouble than it was worth.  I have a Factory
[1] that creates sessions, and I just close and discard them when I'm
done. YMMV -- my apps are not heavily used.

As Wendy says, there are a few gotcha's like what happens with
timeouts and other problems.  Having said that, we use something like
this and it works very well but make sure the process to stop tomcat,
clean up sessions, restart tomcat etc is well documented.

We have a cron process to access the sessions and do something simple
every so often to keep them alive but a cleaner way would be to have
the servlet managing your pool do this itself using quartz.

HTH

Adrian