On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Steven Frost wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if anybody uses rsync to keep a development database
in step with another system between 2 tru64 Unix Alpha boxes.
At present we use rcp after first putting the source data in read-only
(dbpause) mode.
But this copies every file regardless of whether any changes have been
made.
I think rsync copies changed files either by comparing datestamps and
file size, or doing block checksum comparison.

I use rsync with Unidata on Solaris without a hitch. I know others using rsync on HPUX and AIX with similar success so I don't expect you'd have any trouble. rsync is nearly flawless when copying changed data. About the only trouble rsync runs into with U2 databases is if you have a file that changed from static to dynamic hashing - rsync is really unhappy if something that was a file becomes a directory (with the same name) or vice-versa.

I've been using rsync to replicate our production database to other servers (backup, testing) for several years. After the initial copy, it's really fast. If you use rsync in conjunction with some sort of filesystem snapshot, you can replicate with only a few seconds of downtime on your production server.

Jeff Butera
Administrative Systems
Hampshire College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]