Suppose you are discontinuing a product range and need to know how many of
your customers are likely to be affected by the decision..........this is
how I tackle it.

I populate a select list with the product codes or "strings"  I am looking
for, and then run it against the file I am searching as follows:

1) edit the list RAY.LOOKUP.LIST (with hundreds of strings) or simply save
the list if you can obtain them elsewhere.

2) set up an I-type to read the list into the @RECORD buffer. (Incidentally,
I can't be bothered to waste half my life typing &SAVEDLISTS&  so I use an
alias called "TEMP", ).
RAY.LOOKUP.LIST:
  TRANS(TEMP,"RAY.LOOKUP.LIST",@RECORD,"X")

3) Set up an I-type which uses the "Index" verb - this also tells you the
position,  or Zero if it is not found.
RAY.INLIST.CHECK:
  IF INDEX(RAY.LOOKUP.LIST,PROD.CODE,1) = 0 THEN "N" ELSE "Y"

4) run the query "Select Contract with Ray.Inlist.Check = "y"
This will return a list of contracts whose Product code matches one of the
entries in the saved list "Ray.Lookup.List".

Granted, you have to set up one dictionary "pair" for every query of this
type, but in the last 12 years I have only amassed 4 pairs but when you need
them they are worth the effort.

ps I like to look in on the list once in a while, sadly U2 is no longer our
mainstream product (SQL).

Keep buzzing!
Ray Jones, PHS Group, UK