<quote who="Womack, Adrian">
> Karl,
>
> Is that a UniData thing? Because with UniVerse exactly the reverse would
> be true - writing to a sequential file (via CRT statements to a COMO or
> with WRITESEQ to a record in a directory) would be much more efficient
> and use less memory than performing a WRITEV (which has to read the
> entire record in to memory so it can replace the field and then writes
> the entire record out again), and that's without your overhead of
> reading the record in the first place to simply count how many lines it
> has.

When you do a WRITESEQ, if I understand the process, the OS has to read
the entire record to determine the end of data at which point to append
the next write. The method I propose would read the whole record once,
then count the number of lines, set a variable with that total, then do a
TTL += 1 for each subsequent write, eliminating the need to 'keep' the
record in memory. For each WRITESEQ, the entire record is handled by the
OS again, right? I know that on most OSes that's not necessarilly the case
as there is a pointer to the exact location on the affected platter, but
I'm not convinced that's the case here.

> I'd be surprised if the size of the &PH& record has anything to do with
> the problem.

Under normal circumstances, and without the observed functionality, I
would agree...

In any case, perhaps a test scenario could be created using both
procedures. that way it could be demonstrated which affected the process
more. I wouldn't be surprised to see them both fail at a measurable memory
level... I wonder if it could be a weak, or failing, memory chip that's
causing the problem.

Karl

> AdrianW

karl

 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
IT Director, ATS Industrial Supply, Inc.
http://www.atsindustrial.com