John,

One way of accomplishing this is to: (this varies base on what flavor you
are running (UniVerse IDEAL/PICK/REALITY/PRIME...)

This example is UniVerse/Pick flavor

1- Copy the SET-FILE VOC entry to SET-FILEB
2- Write a program that will prompt you for the account name and file name,
**BETTER YET,**DON'T prompt
SENT = TRIM(@SENTENCE)
ANAME = FIELD(SENT," ",2)
FNAME = FIELD(SENT," ",3)
IF ANAME = "" OR FNAME = "" THEN
        PRINT "Usage: SET-FILE account_name file_name"
               STOP
END
*This way, if your PRODUCTION app's is using the SET-FILE then your new
program handles it.....

3- PERFORM the SET-FILEB with account name and file name ONLY if it passes
your EDIT (restricted area) or create an ARRAY and
write to the VOC file.
4- DELETE VOC SET-FILE
5- AE or ED VOC SET-FILE
6- 001 PA
7- 002 YOUR PROGRAM NAME
or
      CATALOG your new program
8-

PS. TEST and DEBUG..........hope it helps. 2 1/2 cents please...

Cheers,

Angelo

On UniVerse version 9.6.1.6  HP-UX

We can create "q-pointers" to any directory path on the system such that
writes to a q-pointed file will write to the specified directory.
Is there any way to restrict that mechanism to prevent "accidental"
access.

Our Production account is mirrored from the Production box onto the
backup (DEV) box as a (disaster recovery) account.
As such we need to be able to restore /activate it at short notice.
BUT
We do not want any inadvertent updates to that account via these
q-pointers.

Ideally I would like UniVerse to tell me that I cannot create a
q-pointer to a 'restricted' area. I don't think it will do that.
I do not want to change the unix permissions because that could
interfere with the DR copying processes and would probably need to be
undone if we need to switch over.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers

John Rodgers