Don't know if this will help, but here is what I did to solve a similar
problem in Unidata.  The first step we took was to start using the "BANNER
UNIQUE (string)" setptr option.  Hopefully, that option is available in
Universe.  So, the setptr command would contain something like "BANNER
UNIQUE FRED" or "BANNER UNIQUE BARNEY".  This causes the files in the
_HOLD_ file to start with FRED or BARNEY.  The rest of the _HOLD_ key is a
sequential number, which is stored in the Dictionary of _HOLD_.

The next step is to have a separate program that checks the _HOLD_ file
every five minutes and takes some action, based on the filename.  e.g., if
it starts with FRED, do this.  If it starts with BARNEY, do something
else.

Some other things that I tried, which did not work on Unidata, but may
work on Universe:

1) Put a trigger on the _HOLD_ file.  Unidata cannot do this, since _HOLD_
is a DIR type file.

2) Delete the _HOLD_ file and recreate it as a hashed file, which would
allow a trigger to be used.  Unidata really did not like this at all.

hth

Charlie Rubeor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]