Minor correction to my previous message:
The element IDs in my previous message should have been the name of the
file with "_record" appended to the end.  For example, PERSONNEL.F_record.

After I did more testing, I notice the strange charaters are attached to
the element IDs if I use Retrieve with ID.SUP keyword.  If I use SQL
SELECT instead to create XML output, I do not have this problem.

Also this problem occured in Universe 10.1.2 running on HP-UX.
but Universe 10.1.18 running on Windows does NOT have this problem.

For now I guess I can use SQL SELECT instead of Retrieve to avoid the
problem although I would like hear if anyone know why using Retrieve
with ID.SUP keyword will screw up the XML output.

Thanks.
Jason