We aren't using it yet, but are working on it.

For us, screen will be used primarily by operators for long-running
processes, so we have to deal with the fact that the person who started a
job may not be around to check on it until it completes. We expect to
address this by setting up a shared userid. Operators will login as
themselves then 'sudo su' to the shared userid. Since screen attempts to
connect to the port that is already being used by the operators id, the
operators will run ssh under the shared id and then kick off screen. If
anyone has any other ideas on how to address port contention, I'd be
interested.

This approach allows anyone with 'sudo su' to the shared id to monitor the
jobs. Using sudo helps address security concerns inherent in shared ids.

Brad Schrag
InfoLease Development
651-205-3074
RiverBank / EP-MN-BGF

The answer to life, the universe and everything

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 12/20/2006 04:03:17 AM:

> Good day,
>
> Anybody using the screen manager ('screen' on linux/unix)?
> Any gotchas we should know of?
>
> We are on AIX 5.3; UV 10.1.4
>
> Thanks.
> Schalk van Zyl

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.