I've seen this before and had it explained before. The explanation made
sense for about ten minutes. This was one of several symptoms we were
seeing with dynamic files that caused us to bring IBM in for consultation.
Rober DunnMiller was the guy. I think he eats this stuff for breakfast.
Very helpful. I wasn't deeply involved in resolution, so I can't tell you
much.

Brad Schrag

The answer to life, the universe and everything

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             rguson.com
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]         u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
             stserver.u2ug.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/10/2007 01:26          [U2] UniData Dynamic File Behavior
             PM

             Please respond to
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                er.u2ug.org

Hello and happy new year!

HpUx 11.11 - UniData 6.1.18 - We have a dynamic file created with
KEYDATA using the default split/merge of 95/40.

Monday night, an automated purge process kicked off removing approx.
310,000 plus records from this file.  On Tuesday, the
process was still running and the file was consuming disk space at an
alarming rate.  We are mystified why the deletion
of records from a dynamic file would cause it to grow.  It essentially
split to the point of more than doubling in size (started
with 3 'dat' files and 1 'ovr' file and grew to 8 'dat's and 1 'ovr').
When we resized the file in the wee hours of the morning, we
reclaimed approx. 10 gig of disk space.  Does anyone know what would
cause a dynamic file to grow when removing records?

TIA!

Shaun P. Ferguson
Sr Program Analyst
Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.