Clif

You're right of course. Mea culpa - I'd forgotten that.
Interestingly, using a SQL expression doesn't require that:

>LIST BOOK_TITLES EVAL "PRICE * UNITS"
PRICE * UNITS  WRITE attempt on read-only file.
Unable to write item "EVAL1496.1".
I-descriptor "PRICE * UNITS" was not compiled.

>SELECT (PRICE * UNITS) AS LineTotal FROM BOOK_TITLES;
LineTotal.....

        285.78

So there's no good reason why it should.

Brian