Whilst we're on the subject, I've just scribbled - sorry, carefully crafed - an
article on using CVS or SubVersion for the March issue of Spectrum magazine
(for anyone who doesn't subscribe - shame on you - you can find it at
www.intl-spectrum.com).

These are not a substitute for a true MV-centric program control, but can be
effective none-the-less if you are prepared to invest in appropriate management
controls. I've used CVS in the past to manage client/server projects where I
needed to tie together versions originating from different platforms and
languages. CVS revision tagging is extremely useful for this, as is virtual PC
as a platform onto which to extract working copies/history revisions.

And if you're just after a simple version repository without requiring much
thought or layout, SubVersion with a copy of TortioseSVN on your PCs is a
simple and cool combination.

Brian