In case you haven't seen the other thread on SOA, please have a look. I wrote a
new blog article on SOA which can be found here:
http:// removethispartNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/2007/02/soa1.html
There I referred to another series of articles I wrote for Spectrum Magazine on
Web Services, and differentiated Web Services from SOA. I have done this sort
of work for other companies. One of the solutions I helped to implement
processes over 10,000 orders per day for Dell and has been running for about
three years with no issues. That integrates an MV app with a WebMethods B2B
server. Another smaller solution integrates order processing between a
corporate office and satellite offices for a company that manufactures
firetrucks. For this one we used a Perl interface.  The bottom line is that
these companies regard the functionality provided by the remote MV applications
as a component of their own infrastructure.

The tools we used in the past were platform-specific (OS and/or DBMS) but that
always seems to come back to bite us, if only in terms of questions about why
we are using specific tools - the fact that it all works for years with zero
failures doesn't stop the questions. These days I tend to lead with .NET for
everything since there are interfaces for every environment including MV - .NET
was designed for this sort of usage. There are few technical or political
issues getting people to coordinate on a .NET solution and moving the code from
one MV platform to another is quite easy (migration or VAR porting to multiple
supported platforms).

Our tool of choice continues to be mv.NET, which IBM has also recently adopted.
For anyone still looking at PDP.NET, I have provided a product comparison for
PDP.NET and mv.NET on my blog - please email for a password to access the
resource.

In all fairness, the Sonic ESB solution is similar but different from mv.NET or
other traditional MV market offerings. It serves as a hub for connectivity from
multiple technologies whereas other solutions typically seen in these forum
 Java _or_ whatever. There are bridges which are available for free or
reasonable cost which allow (for example) Java and .NET to interoperate, so an
expensive "hub" architecture isn't required for many of these projects, maybe
just a connector.  One key feature that is provided by hubs like WebMethods
(not sure about ESB) is that they provide transaction management much like
MessageQueue processors.  That sort of functionality is _very_ important for
ensuring that SOA works - but again, the purchase of major hub products isn't
always required.

Nebula Research and Development can provide consultation and implementation
services for all of this.  Feel free to contact me to discuss your requirements.
Tony Gravagno
TG@ removethisNebula-RnD.com  (please do not email yahoo or other addresses)
Nebula R&D is a worldwide Distributor for mv.NET and provides related product,
support, and development services.

From: Andy Pflueger
We are currently looking into implementing a SOA (service-oriented
architecture) and in the research phase to determine the best approach
for this implementation. Does anybody out there have any particular
recommendations for implementing a service bus layer with Unidata?
Recently, I've discovered a product Sonic ESB by Sonic Software
(http://www.sonicsoftware.com/products/sonic_esb/index.ssp). Has
anybody had any experience or know anything about this software and
how it might interact with the U2 platform?