Kevin King wrote:
>> But someone needs to do a semi-impartial analysis to compare the
> systems of the new owners with those of an acquired company.
>
> Ah, and therein lies the rub Tony.  Acquisitions and mergers do not
> generally include many impartial parties.  The only difference between
> business as usual and acq/merge is that with an acq/merge you're less
> likely to have people faking their ambivalence and/or ignorance.

And that's exactly why I put "semi" before "impartial".  :)  There's no
doubt many people would be partial toward whatever decisions are already
favored.  But technical people by nature are inclined toward problem
solving rather than playing political games.  The right person doing a
system analysis, even someone completely bias in favor of relational
solutions, might recognize that the MV software supporting their new
acquisition could be partially responsible for their decision to buy the
company in the first place.  Good software is an asset.  Replacing it
without a proper evaluation is irresponsible.  If people find themselves in
this sort of situation, they should strongly recommend such an evaluation
on these grounds.

(Forum mods, thank you very much for your efforts.  I can now post from my
preferred server.)