We do this all the time. and set it up thusly:

1. create a unix spooler entry for the printer pointing to the IP address
of the print server and the 'port' it uses, such as LPT1, P1, 9100, RAW1,
etc.

2. Create a diretory for UV 'pass-through drivers' that uniVerse will use.
Mine is /u1/uvptr

3. Write drivers specific to the UV printer and the AIX spooler name. I
have an HP in my office, and my initials are KLP. I have a driver in
/u1/uvptr named hpklp.drv which contains one line:

lp -dhpklp
or
lpr -h -Phpklp

and then is  chmod 775 to make it executable.

4. Create an entry in /var/spool/uv/sp.config for the printer:
HPKLP /dev/null BAUD 9600 DRIVER /u1/uvptr/hpklp.drv XOFF STARTANY OFF
PARITY None TABS ON FFDELAY 1 LFDELAY 0 DATABITS 8 LOCKFILE lock.hpklp

and in &DEVICES&

  hpklp
 0001
0002 /dev/null
0003
0004 P
0005 lock.hpklp
0006 /u1/uvptr/karlp.drv
0007
0008 4
0009 1
0010 1
0011 11
0012
0013 1
0014 1
0015 1
0016 1
0017 8
0018

Of course you can do this all in the uniVerse admin menus, but knowing how
to do it manually makes things quicker. There are several options for
creating the spooler entry in smit. They include local filtering before
sending to the AIX queue, or just standard and other things. I've had to
do different things depending on the idiosyncracies of each printer. I
have 36 printers setup this way and none of them are 'hard wired' to the
AIX server except a couple of label printers on serial ports.

HTH,

Karl
<quote who="Dave Taylor">
> One of our clients is running uniVerse 10.1.22 on AIX 5.3 using Pick
> flavored
> accounts.
>
> All of their printers are network (TCP/IP) printers - none are serial or
> parallel.
>
> They have installed a UVDEFAULT printer on AIX connected to an AIX print
> queue.
>
> They can print to this printer from TCL but can not SPOOL a print job to
> it
> from a file (not the &HOLD& file) using the AT option.
>
> 1.  Can the SPOOL command see O/S level printers/queues without having to
> add
> them to the &DEVICE& file?
>
> 2.  Do they need to add these networked printers to the &DEVICE& file so
> that
> the SPOOL command will see them, and if so, what does that record need to
> look
> like?
>
> 4.  Is there anything else they need to do within Universe?
>
> 4.  Do they need to install these printers differently on AIX?
>
> As always, thanks for your assistance.
>
> Rgds,
>
> Dave
>
> Dave Taylor
> President
> Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.
> 49 Aspen Way
> Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
> 800-SYSMARK (800-797-6275)
> (O) 310-544-1974
> (C) 310-561-5200
> (P) 800-339-1497
> (F) 310-377-3550
> Your Source for Integrated EDI Translation and DataSync Integration
> www.sysmarkinfo.com
> IBM Business Partner

Karl Pearson
Director of I.T.
ATS Industrial Supply, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.atsindustrial.com
800-789-9300 x29
Fax: 801-972-3888

"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."