Well said, Mark.

Your simple 5-step example could save a newcomer hours of trial and
error.

Until the full-blown "Incubator and Learning Pack" is available, this
would be a perfect addition to the U2UG web site. Maybe there are some
draft pieces already written that could be posted.

Perhaps other members of the list can suggest some online resources for
getting started that could be added to the U2UG "Links" page, too.

Regards,
Tom

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/07/07 9:13 AM >>>
Sidebar to ms Anita's questions:

We've lived through all of the quirks of the evolution of our beloved MV
database and programming language. It's second nature to us.

Virtually all of our techniques preceed those developed in other
databases
and languages. Thus, we endeavor to learn the new stuff after having
success
with MV.

Hers is an opposite case. This begs the question if there is an MV for
Dummies or something to give the experienced non-MV professional a quick
start onto the obvious (to us) differences between MV and the SQL-like
world. (I use SQL as the nominal 'other side of the fence' database).

In my travels I have seen programs written in MV by persons proficient
in
other environments yet aren't the best methods for programming MV. Not
dictate a 'standards committee' but to provide ms Anita with an
illustration
of the popular differences and comparisons between the two.

Thus, persons like ms Anita won't get frustrated when trying to support
or
develop in MV. IMHO the first place to start would be the MV file
structure
itself, to illustrate that not all data structures are flat and
SQL-like.
Granted, we all have seen flat files in MV and certainly 3 dimensioned
files
in MV.

Second place to start would be her question here of just generic
programming
file concepts. Does she really need a separate BP file for programs and
subroutines. We all know that you can have INCLUDES, Programs,
Subroutines
and even data in the same BP file.

A simple tutorial like

1. CREATE-FILE blah, blah
2. EDIT BP PROG1
3. BASIC BP PROG1
4. CATALOG BP PROG1
5. RUN or PROG1 to actually use it.

would be a great help instead of a newbie trying to figure it out for
themselves. Virtually every reference manual is just that, a reference.

While she may learn a lot from reverse engineering the MV environment
she's
working in, that only serves to perpetuate the home-rules for that
application and may teach her (and promote) bad techniques.

My 2 cents
Mark Johnson
<snip>
This e-mail and any attachments may contain CONFIDENTIAL
information, including PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use or disclosure of this information
is STRICTLY PROHIBITED; you are requested to delete this e-mail and
any attachments, notify the sender immediately, and notify the
LabCorp Privacy Officer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call (877)
23-HIPAA / (877) 234-4722.