I'm not an expert in this area but my gut feel is that the box isn't
really the issue.

If you've already decided on XP Pro then get as much memory as it can
address (which sounds like 3GB or 4GB from other posts).

The speed of the network is going to be the bottle neck so can you modify
the way the data is accessed?  For example, I have seen huge differences
between using SQL over ODBC and over OLEDB.  If it is possible, use a
technology like OLEDB that puts the processing as close as possible to the
data to eliminate the network overhead.  This is somewhat like using a
stored procedure but it sounds like changing the configuration of the SQL
boxes is not an option.

What I am trying to say is that a slight change to the architecture may
make all the difference.  But I'm sure you know all that!

Regards,

Rob Wills
(rob dot wills at tigerinfotech dot com)