I agree that scanning programs for concepts is made harder with this.

I inherit this kind of code and have been known to quote your quote. But I
must repeat that the train has left the MV station at the highest level.
Sure, a flavour (Ud/Uv/D3/Mvbase etc) may dictate standards but they have a
legacy to support. A VAR can dictate standards to their programmers for
programmer interchangability. And an end user can dictate their own
programming standards as well.

I would lean in the opposite of teaching standards (hold your flames).
Unless you're programming in a nicely controlled MV environment, where the
standards pre-exist that you must follow, you might as well get used to
being able to interpet many different methods for performing the same task.

I will stand on my soapbox and shout that MV has no standards, just a lot of
styles. There is no governing body to enforce standards and if the remaining
providers (u2/uv/ d3 etc) were to build and force them, there would be some
disagreements at that level. If they concurred, then all of the existing
code underneath would have to be magically re-written or allowed to remain.
How coult anyone really prove that their 'style' should be the 'standard'.
Are we going to have a standards convention and hash over each MV topic from
loops, gotos, opens, dict items, procs, PRINT ON blah, blah.

The train has left the station on this topic for us MV programmers. We all
develop our own styles and hash them about for the newbies to review. But
everything compiles, one plus one does equal two and we all get paid in the
end. Flame me if you wish. But offer some real counterpoints and not just
conjecture.

Respectfully
Mark Johnson