Diane,
Dictionaries to change case are great if you are searching on a specific field. I think Laura's issue relates to searching the entire text of a record.

- Chuck "Putting Words In Laura's Mouth Even Though She Can Speak For Herself Since 2004" Barouch

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Isn't that really more of a data issue though, rather than a programming issue? I absolutely believe that data should be stored in U/L case, but that doesn't
affect the programming at all.  For searching on this data, we just use
dictionaries that put it in all upper case - very easy to search on.
-Dianne

Quoting Laura Hirsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I think that the upper/lower case issue -- albeit not a show stopper for
anyone - is "much worse than that".

Besides the "internal" back-n-forth about programming in basic, and what
case should be "current", I think that a bigger issue revolves around data
presentation and converting to a "modern" display and "modern" usage.

For example, reports, mailing labels, "Dear John" letters... I mean, as a
programmer, I can use MCU - that works great, MCL - not as useful, but,
still works as documented. MCT? It's embarrassing. Dr. Mark Jones, MD is
almost impossible to return. Mark Jones III - allows me to send a "state of
the art" letter addressed to "Mark Jones Iii".

SEARCH is another of my pet peeves. It should be *smart enough* to figure
out, or at least provide an option to be case insensitive. Maybe it does,
and I'm not aware. But it just always seemed crazy. So, I search - string?
"MARK JONES" then "Mark Jones" then "Mark jones" then "mark jones".

BTREES? Although some may disagree, Mark Jones and MARK JONES are the same
thing - at least in our business environment.

I think that if we want to work in a world that doesn't shout at us all the
time, then we need to look beyond how to write a basic program

That's my $.02 (hey, what happened to the "cent" character... it used to be
there... I know it was... oh, maybe that was on the typewriters that didn't
allow lower case)

Laura