Harold:

First, you should probably uninstall UniAdmin and any other older U2 client
software you have (unless you need it).  Then reinstall the new version that
comes with UV 10.2 (Try just installing UniAdmin first).  Make sure you turn
off your AV/Aspyware software first.  I believe the most recent version of
UniAdmin is 1.3.

The reason you want to telnet to localhost is to verify UV is running, along
with UV telnet on port 23 (the default port).  I only have the same three
services running on UV:

+ Resource Service
+ Telnet Service
+ UniRPC Service

My "netstat" shows:

C:\Documents and Settings\wphaskett>netstat -a | more

Active Connections

  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    asibill:telnet         asibill:0              LISTENING
  TCP    asibill:31438          asibill:0              LISTENING
  TCP    asibill:2940           localhost:31438        ESTABLISHED

C:\Documents and Settings\wphaskett>netstat -an | more

Active Connections

  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    0.0.0.0:23             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:31438          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    127.0.0.1:31438        127.0.0.1:2940         ESTABLISHED

Port 31438 is the UniAdmin port.  I've made a connection from my machine to
UV on my machine via localhost.  You should make sure UV is properly
licensed as I've experienced the RPC service not responsive without proper
licensing.  The UV license I have is valid throuh 31 Mar 2008 (see UV
control panel).