Jerry and others, I've been hesitent to respond here because I'll just be
duplicating material in my blog and from my series of articles in Spectrum
Magazine on all of these business and technical topics.  I will say that
you need to consider that Cache' revenue is almost equally split between
new licenses and support fees.  For a company with over $200 Million in
annual revenue, this means InterSystems has a lot of happy clients and
they're constantly getting more.  I think it's reasonable to assume that
file management is at least "adequate" if not entirely stable, considering
the number of sites using this software and the high-profile nature of
these sites, including U.S Veteran's Administration, Department of Defense,
and critical healthcare and government agencies all over the world.  The
database hasn't been hit by a GFE-type error in years.  It simply works,
and doesn't require constant tuning.  Our personal familiarity with such
things prompts the reasonable questions, but in that world the issues just
don't exist.

There are essentially two file structures, the traditional Globals, and the
MV files which are Globals too, just structured like dynamic arrays.  MV
accounts in Cache' have files just like U2, in-line files and DIR files
(type 19).  There is reportedly no performance lost in working with MV
files vs globals.

Someone expressed the sentiment that what's old is new, etc.  Cache' is
built on generations of MUMPS like Universe and Unidata are built on their
predecessors.  Considering the very similar histories of these products, it
will be very difficult for MV people to stick their noses up at Cache'
heritage.  What should be more important to decision makers than heritage
is that the DBMS works very well and is supported by a very large and well
organized company.  For all of the reasons why people use U2, they should
also seek to understand Cache'.  I'm not even talking about migrations
necessarily.  In today's world of SOA (big on the IBM agenda) a U2 site
that can integrate with Cache' has a definite advantage over a site that
does not, whether via Java, .NET, Web Services, SOA, or by other means.
For business reasons anyone integrating with a site (or trading partner or
business prospect) that already has Cache' should understand it - and it's
just a bonus that MV code works in Cache' itself.

HTH
TG@ removethisNebula-RnD.com