Hi Jerry,

Getting a non-prime number modulus is not a problem. Some of the hashing algorithms work fine with non-prime modulo values. I have not checked my notes but I seem to recall that types 2, 6, 10 and 14 work well for values that divide by 5 (or was it 10?). Perhaps this is time for another plug for the UniVerse Internals course.

It may be that HASH.HELP and HASH.HELP DETAIL apply slightly different algorithms. Another interesting thing that happens from time to time is that you can run HASH.HELP, reconfigure the file, run HASH.HELP again and get a different recommendation. I believe that this is because the tool is affected by the order in which it sees the records. In most cases, either set of parameters works just fine.

This is not to say that HASH.HELP is perfect. There is a horrendous bug where it sometimes appears not to think about record sizes and can end up with awful packing. Again, dare I say it, it's one of the examples in the internals course.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200 -------