From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 4:20 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] RE: [UD] BSELECT @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE anomaly

My apologies for the poor job I did posting this.  I sent it before I
had completed the subscribe procedures.  I blame it on my vacation.  :-)

Because of my mistake, I didn't get the replies.  I had to get them from
the list archive.  Here are my replies to the replies:

To Dave Davis, who said, "If you were curious about the number of
customers queried couldn't you just do a SELECT CUSTOMER first?"

I agree.  Or, if you had done a previous select to whittle down the
list, you'd already know how many records would be queried for the
BSELECT.

To David A. Green, who said, "SYSTEM(11) returns number of items in the
active select list.  I think we should leave the @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE as
the number of records
selected."

@SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE is NOT the number of records selected.  That is the
problem.  It is the number of records queried/polled, not the number of
items returned in the select list.  Those numbers will not be the same
for a multivalued attribute or if the attribute is null and UDT.OPTION
59 is ON.

Try this and see if you feel the same way about @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE:

EXECUTE 'UDT.OPTIONS 59 ON'
CMD1 = 'BSELECT CUSTOMER WITH @ID GE "200" TAPES_RENTED'
CRT CMD1
EXECUTE CMD1
IF @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE GT 0 THEN
  CMD2 = 'DELETE TAPES'
  CRT ; CRT CMD2
  EXECUTE CMD2
END

SYSTEM(11) is our workaround.  But it is a pain because:
A) It is non-standard, i.e. not necessary for other SELECTs.
B) It is not what the documentation says.  BASR.pdf states that
@SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE will contain the number of items in the select list.
C) If the program reports errors, it must first check
@SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE, and if okay then check SYSTEM(11).