Thanks to those who responded on and off list.

It turns out the culprit was a Unix script that had been in production since
2001. The last line of this script had been commented out with an asterisk
instead of a pound sign...  This was a "harmless" error, until last Thursday
when the script found an executable item in its working directory.  It
dutifully attempted to run it over and over again, forking off processes as it
went. It consumed so much in the way of resources that Solaris started
downsizing swap, resulting in UV processes getting the "Available memory
exceeded" message, presumably when the OS attempted to page.

I saw this in real time today... I inadvertently fired off the process and saw
/tamp go from 2% of capacity to 20, then 25, etc....  The actual size of it
wasn't increasing very much, but the maximum size for it dropped like a rock.
Unfortunately I gave the system a wedgie before I could kill the process....
One change of underwear and an edited script later, we are finally good to
go...  I'll be spending the next few days reviewing my old scripts... just in
case.

Mark Hennessey