Dave -
Since you are porting from another environment (such as mvBase), have you looked at the options that you can set using UniAdmin. If you are using PICK flavor as your standard, you may want to set the LAYERSEL option to zero in the UV configuration options. See UniAdmin and the Administration manual for more info on this option.

Ken

 At 10:05 AM 8/3/2007, you wrote:
Wol,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is the order of magnitude. I have 889 programs with at least one or more instances of this code to change. That's a fair amount of code to change and test. I don't want to enable PIOPEN.EXECUTE or use PERFORM universally because, depending on the program, we may have one or two instances of this select list type of code combined with a recursive executed program or a program that executes another program with named common variables so I do not want to share the workspace. If possible, I would certainly elect to permit select lists to be active in a new environment like the system I am porting from.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Anthony Youngman
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:13 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] EXECUTE environment in Universe

Seeing as you don't say whether you're wanting to enable PIOPEN.EXECUTE
as a global option, or just in programs as you need to recompile them,
it's not clear what exactly your problem is. Two things ...

1. Look at using PERFORM instead of EXECUTE. I'm not sure of the
difference, but I strongly suspect that PERFORM *always* does a PI-style
execute. I think PERFORM stays in the calling program's exec level,
while EXECUTE by default creates a new one.

2. Look at rewriting your code something like

EXECPHRASE = "PA" :@FM: "SELECT ..." :@FM: "PRINT BACKORDER.REPORT"
PERFORM EXECPHRASE

That way, you're guaranteed stable behaviour of select lists, etc etc.
But if you're porting code, it looks like you're relying on PI-style
executes, so setting PIOPEN.EXECUTE is unlikely to be a problem.

Cheers,
Wol