I have switched to Linux for my workstation at home and work. I used Red
Hat for years, then switched to Fedora Core. I had a problem with my PC at
home, after a YUM update trashed the system. I looked for another
distribution just out of curiosity and found PCLinuxOS (I've tried debian,
gentoo, ubuntu, kubuntu, slackware, DSL, InSERt and some others), which
runs from a Live CD. If you login as root, you can install it to your hard
disk. Other than that, you can test drive it without affecting your
computer's native OS.

I installed it to a new disk on my laptop first as the native OS. It
installed faster, and easier, than windows XP, and it boots faster. It
found my WiFi card (Athlon chipset) and it runs as fast as the native XP
driver over my home and work WiFi network.

Using WINE, I can run the most important apps I need and for some that
won't run on WINE, I installed the free VMWare Server, got a license and,
like Craig, haven't looked back. Now when I have to help the Windows folks
in the office, I think "I'm glad not to be running this OS any more".

As the I.T. Director, I met with the COO and we have decided not to
upgrade to Vista for at least a year, and then will look at it again then.
With the functionality XP has, and PCLinuxOS (one other employee uses it)
we may move to Thin Client and install VMWare ESX Server on a dual
quad-processor pair of blades and virtualize all our workstations, thus
keeping the existing Xp licenses for those who don't want to, or lack the
tech-saviness, to move to Linux.

My 2 bits.

Karl

<quote who="Craig McDonald">
> After many years of Windows (since 3.0) I decided to change to Macs and
> haven't looked back. Vista totally trashed my PC and I immediately lost
> all
> confidence that there would be any comprehensive changes to Windows,
> mainly
> the elimination of the Windows registry. -Craig McDonald

Karl Pearson
Director of I.T.
ATS Industrial Supply, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.atsindustrial.com
800-789-9300 x29
Fax: 801-972-3888

"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."