> I was under the impression that UniData could handle something like:
>
> OPEN 'E:\DataShare\Temp' TO TEMP.FV ON ERROR CRT "File
> abort." ELSE STOP 201, 'E:\DataShare\Temp'
> SELECT TEMP.FV
> IF SYSTEM(11) THEN
>    LOOP
>       READNEXT ID ELSE EXIT
>       ...do something
>    REPEAT
> END
>
> This worked fine in D3 but it is failing (actually the
> program just stops) in UniData, even though the directory is
> local and valid.  Am I missing something or am I required to
> create a "DIR" pointer to the "D:\DataShare\Temp" local
> directory first?

When we converted from D3 to UniData, I spent more time on this kind of
thing that anything else.  I believe you will have to use the OPENSEQ
and READSEQ verbs instead.  Something like:

OPENSEQ 'E:\DataShare\Temp' TO TEMP.FV ELSE STOP 201,
'E:\DataShare\Temp'
END.OF.FILE = 0
LOOP
   READSEQ TEMP.REC FROM TEMP.FV ELSE END.OF.FILE = 1
UNTIL END.OF.FILE DO
   ...do something
REPEAT
END