Hi Dave,
Our system is far too complex to describe here in a single email, but
I'd like to discuss the topic in general with anyone who needs to
distribute their server-based code to clients, whether external or
internal.  I'm willing to provide specifics; I just don't want to bore
everyone else with a lengthy description here.
As far as you can why not keep this on the list -- I'm certainly interested.

One procedure does come to mind for this if you are distributing to UV:
- Create "Clean Install" Account(s) for your product. These accounts should have files dictionaries set up as though they were setup at the client just before you began any data entry or customisation for that particular client. These accounts might include only basic source code or just compiled object code (with stub files in place of the BASIC source so that you can use CATALOG).
   - Back these up using uvbackup
   - Create a customization script or program or write your install manual

Now your installation procedure is:
   - Use uvrestore to create your clean install accounts on the client
- Once this is done begin customization - compiling, cataloging, setting up UV.ACCOUNT entries etc. Either manual or via program/script.

Having looked at install systems on various Unix and Linux systems and on various databases I'd say that outside Windows everything boils down to unpacking an archive, optionally compiling and scripting configuration. Sometimes with all steps controlled by a script or program, sometimes not.

Examine the UV install procedure as an example of exactly this:
- mount your tape/CD
- restore data from this using cpio (the install script)
- the install script then does further extraction and configuration
- As well as this perform the other manual installation tasks (setting up users, directories etc).

Craig