Augusto,

The UniRPC protocol hanging when contacted by other network protocols
working on the same TCP port is not exactly what we could name a "bug".
But, for the very true reasons you exposed, enhancements have been made in
UniRPC daemon ("unirpcd" executable) to handle smoothly the case of
unexpected packets causing the daemon to hang, as the UniRPC "applicative"
protocol doesn't know about any of the others high-level protocols such as
"telnet", "ftp", and so on.

A new "unirpcd" parameter = -timeout tt, with "tt" in seconds allows the
UniRPC daemon to handle smoothly this situation.
We recommend the timeout value to be the smallest as your network can
support, because for the duration of the timeout, the UniRPC daemon is
actually hanging, but in a controlled manner, and no more UniRPC
connections can be accepted.
A value of 15 seconds seems generally the largest acceptable value on most
sites, so it could be reduced on purpose.

Note that this parameter exists for UniVerse on Windows platform starting
at release 10.1.23 for releases 10.1.x and 10.2.3 for releases 10.2.x.
The procedure to get it enabled through Windows Services Manager is
documented in the "patchlist" file accessible on :
https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/downloads/readme/UV-10.1.23.zip

Have to look at "Issue # 9074".

On UNIX platforms, the "-timeout" parameter was altready existing in the
early releases 10.0.x (and UniData 6.0.x), (and it's much easier to have it
enabled at system command line !).

Hope this will help.

P.S: The answer here is one more reason to attend to U2U in IBM Bedfont
Lakes (Feltham) as my manager suggested !...

Regards,

Herve' Balestrieri