Baker,
I agree, but the path is hard and the way is murky. A few months back, I posted a free skeleton maker, which implemented some reasonable commenting. When I opened it up to the list for comments, the response was greatly varied. Some people even replied privately for fear of starting a flame war on the lists. If we are going to do as you suggested, I only see one way to make that work: Let's get a few people to each write up their own style guideline and subject them all to the list's opinions, with each originator having a final say on their guideline. We can post them all to U2UG.org and let people select the one they like. it won't have the value of setting a single style, but it has the value of being possible. Anyone frustrated with all choices can petition the author who is closest or they can roll their own and subject it to feedback.
  Anyone willing to step up? I'd be willing to play under these terms.
- Chuck

Baker Hughes wrote:
WHAT IF - the U2UG took it as a future project to compile a Best
Practices coding guideline document for our language?