We use PlanetPress Suite from Objectif Lune:
http://www.objectiflune.com/OL/en-CA/Products/PlanetPressSuite/Index.asp

It truly is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's ALMOST as good
as beer. Considering what it does, it is cheap. I'd say it would be
cheap at twice the cost. The company has excellent support, and are VERY
responsive to requests. We use the PlanetPress design tool to create
forms and PlanetWatch to merge data with the forms and spool the
resultant PostScript to the printer. Depending on your situation, it may
be better to download the forms to the printers and send the data only.

Our old/old and old/new forms generation solutions were nroff and groff
(ditroff for the hardcore). We use the same method to extract data for
forms/notices. Some become data files to be .so'd into nroff/groff
documents. The 'new/new' forms get shipped to the PlanetWatch server via
lpr. Watch merges the data with the form and sends to the specified
printer, creates a PDF archive using PlanetPress Image.

Designing forms is a snap. If you are lazy, or the form is complicated,
simply drag a PDF of the original form into the design tool.

Watch can accept inputs via lp, ftp, e-mail attachments, telnet, as an
HTTP server or client, as a SOAP client, and more. We currently send
jobs from our UV server (Solaris) via lp and ftp jobs from the IBM main
frame.  It's our Swiss (Canadian?) Army Knife for printing/imaging.

I can not speak highly enough about the software or Objectif Lune.
Download a demo and kick the tires. You will be impressed.

http://www.objectiflune.com/OL/en-CA/Download/Demo/PlanetPressSuite.aspx

Mark Hennessey