As a follow up (remember we're on Windows 2K3)...

If I login to the Windows server as administrator "A" then run a 3rd party
"sftpc"
command in a DOS window, it works.  If I login to UniData as the same
administrator
"A" and run the same "sftpc" command, from ECL, it works fine.  However, if I
login
to UniData as administrator "B" then run the same "sftpc" command from ECL
(!sftpc
-profile=... -cmdFile=...), it fails.  Now, if I login to the Windows server as
administrator "B" then run the "sftpc" command in a DOS window, it works; and
if I
rerun the command in UniData, while still logged in as administrator "B", it
works.
However, when I log off UniData and log back in as administrator "A" the "sftpc"
command fails.  In order to make this work for administrator "A" I need to
login to
the Windows server, as admministrator "A", and execute the "sftpc" command from
a DOS
prompt.  However, once done for administrator "A", administrator "B" can't run
this
command successfully from UniData.  And around we go.

This seems to imply that O/S commands from UniData execute in a different
security
context than on the Windows server, in a DOS window (using the same Windows
user).

Does the UniData Database service need to start under something other than the
"Local
System account"?  What Windows security changes from within UD vs from within a
DOS
window?

Thanks,

Bill