With more than 25 years in IT, this is what I have learned:

*People remember quick for a day; they remember dirty forever.*

   - When I talked to a former CIO about quality and documentation, he
   said management expects best practices, and it is up to us programmers to
   deliver them.

   - We need to quit saying we can get it done "quick in a day" when it
   is a week-long job.

   - I have noticed that some programmers inflate their estimates by 10
   times, just so they will look good finishing early.  We have to be accurate,
   without lying.

   - Companies need to establish a threshold to determine when an
   application needs to be rewritten. This could be "n years old" or "n
   modifications" or when the program is unreadable.

   - The best IT practices I've seen include:
      - Coding standards (e.g. using loop/repeat instead of for/next)
      - Syntax standards (e.g. using @true and @false instead of 1 and
      0)
      - Everybody uses the same case: UPPER, lower, or Mixed.
      - peer review for coding and syntax compliance (this really
      doesn't take long)
      - operations and user review of documentation BEFORE a program
      is installed.
      - programs are never installed on Friday.

We have many members and companies that have established excellent best
practices. It would be nice to have them on the U2UG wiki.

-- Louie in Seattle