Is R.New or R.SOD being declared as a dimensioned array somewhere?
If both are dynamic arrays, there should be no problem.

I get the error you describe if I try to assign a dimensioned array to a dynamic array variable, such as:
0001: DIM X(100)
0002: Y=""
0003: X=Y

The other way around produces a different error. So, it would seem to me that R.SOD is dimensioned, except that when I add in the read, I get "FROM" unexpected, Was expecting: '(' on the read in addition to the "Array must have subscripts" error on the assignment.

Brutzman, Bill wrote:

It is not letting me do it.

When I try something like...
        read R.SOD from F.SOH, Order.ID  else  R.SOD = ''

     R.New = ''
     R.New = R.SOD

The compiler says... Error... Array must have subscripts.

Unless there is no other way... I would rather not build a new array... via
a loop... inspecting one item at a time.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

--Bill

Geoffrey Mitchell
Programmer/Analyst