We did it on a library system for having multiple language support, that way
the user login loaded the ERRMSG file and all errors were in the local taal
(language)

Since the legacy app is used even today, on both D3 and UV, it still works
off an ERRMSG file, only the access method now is via a special subroutine
to log the error and abort gracefully..

Speaking of that, the original URICA library system, used extensively in the
UK and a couple in SA, was written in PROC... And used this ERRMSG idea in
it too