We are experiencing periodic "hangs" (up to 5 minutes in duration) accessing the UV database. These hangs are manifesting when accessing the database through JDBC, sometimes when calling a stored procedure, sometimes when running queries directly through JDBC. The problem has appeared in two different, unrelated sub-systems (no common tables are accessed by both).

Of course, we first suspected locking issues, but we have not been able to find any evidence that this is the case. In most cases, only one process seems to be accessing the table(s) in question at the time of the problem.

Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing this? Or thoughts as to what might be the problem?

It would be awfully nice to have a log of all of the queries being executed and how long they took, such as you can easily get from other databases, like mysql, or PostGresql.....

--
Geoffrey Mitchell
Programmer/Analyst