Hi,

The man (person) who writes a PROC interpreter/conversion utility
that can take a PROC and turn it into either Basic, or a PAragraph, will
have a product to sell... esp. if it can decipher all the PROC nuances and
tricks that have been introduced over the years.

Back in the days when I was working on the development of PI/open, I had a go at this. It is not difficult to produce Basic code that does the same job as the Proc but producing good code rather than a simple step by step interpretation of the Proc is difficult. Also, there are some strange interactions between Procs and the underlying command environment that are different from how Basic programs work so you can never get a true replacement.

Same goes for a tool to convert A correlatives to I-descriptors.

This is relatively easy. If you think there is a market, we might even do it. We looked at this as part of the migration process for users moving to OpenQM but we chose to implement correlatives instead as it was easy. Ours are compiled (like an I-type) rather than interpretive for best performance so actually the task of writing the convertor is probably little more than ripping apart our existing correlative compiler.

But pity the wretch that is assigned the task of writing the tool to convert
F correlatives.

This is probably easier than A correlatives. Again, if there is a real market that would pay a sensible price for it, we might do it.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200 -------