Hi Doug,

is fixtool the best way to repair a universe file?

In my experience with the various repair tools over many years of working with UniVerse, fixtool does seem to be able to repair more corruptions than the previous tools.

I read somewhere that all it does is fix the broken link ("fixing" the
file but losing the data that the broken link pointed to).

This may be all that can be done. A backward link error often means that two groups apparently own the same overflow block. The data of one will have overwritten the other. There is no way that any recovery tool could ever get back the lost data.

Martin Phillips, Ladybridge Systems Ltd -------