See in-line

Glad to help!

> > From: Colin Alfke
> >I don't think you can get an activation key for the PE versions.
>
> Does that mean that the failure of the platforms to initialize
> may have to do with something other than a PE license expiration?
> Rather, I'm understanding that a full installation is required to
> get the software back working, and that there is no key-only
> re-activation process.  Is that correct?

I think that's correct. It's likely they expired and (unlike the pay
versions) I don't think you can "re-activate".

> > The easiest way to upgrade is to:
> > -download the new version, double check the ending
> > date - there was a problem with a new copy not being
> > up before the last one expired,
>
> > plus there have been some issues with some recent releases
>
> Well bud, that's not mighty encouraging.  Since the versions I'm
> on work fine, I might be inclined to just re-install what I
> already have, if I could, but this whole process seems to be a
> waste of time.

I think the last ones were the first PE version with an expiry date and they
just didn't get a new version up before the last expired. I think it went up
pretty quick once they realized. I see that the new 7.2 version of UD is
available for PE so you'll be OK. Just trying to give you a pro-active
heads-up as I hadn't checked the PE version for a while.

> > -install overtop of your existing release
>
> What I'm getting from this is that:
> 1) no uninstall is required,
> 2) files and registry entries will not be left unreferenced and
> services will be properly unregistered and re-registered,
> 3) existing accounts will be visible to an update environment.

Right. We used to recommend to uninstall first - until one client complained
that it removed all of their data folders as well - we're pretty sure it was
a user error as we've done it lots without problems. As for point 2 - I
won't say it's flawless - more "better than average."

> I'm sorry but I don't have that much faith in the U2 installers
> so some confirmation would really help.  I'll check upgrade docs
> again but for some reason these docs always seem to
> over-complicate simple processes, or under-emphasize some
> critical concern (like "of course you need to completely
> uninstall and re-install the UniSDK and all of your client
> processes after you've installed this new release...").

Never hit anything like this. Note that "professionally" I only had one site
start to use any of the UniSDK so I don't have a lot of experience going
through multiple upgrades - although playing with it at home hasn't been a
problem.

Although, you could send me the VM and I could play with it for a while...

Hth
Colin Alfke
Calgary Canada