From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony G
Sent: 16 September 2008 23:49
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] [UD] Crystal Reports and UniData

David, the best approach may be more indirect.  This is another
reason why I keep trying to discourage the more direct interfaces
between MV-specific SQL tools.

Rather than trying to bind CR or any reporting tools to U2,
create a Data Access Layer (DAL) that you're comfortable with
using any tools you prefer.  You can then use this with any
future project and enhance it as you find the need.  Then create
classes for a Business Logic Layer (BLL) that represent the
server-side data.  These might include CUSTOMER, ORDER_HDR,
INVENTORY, etc.  Again, you will be able to use these for any
future projects.  Then you can create a final class, decorated
with the .NET DataObjects attribute, that can be used as an
ObjectDataSource with any tools that bind with such DataSources -
including Crystal Reports.  You will probably have a few of these
for your various application needs.

Not only is your effort on these classes portable to other
projects, but you're abstracting matters of the UI (Crystal
Reports and their API in this case) from any changes you make to
accommodate DAL or DBMS changes.  For example, you can now use
your CR interface with jBASE, Cachi, SQL Server, or any other
database - all you need to do is replace the DAL - and you can
use the same DAL and BLL to provide data to MS Office, web
services, or any number of other front-end
application/interfaces.  This also insulates you from support
people at either IBM or CR blaming their faceless counterparts
for some malfunction.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised IBM says CR itself is so broken
but I suspect that's motivated in part by their purchase of
Cognos.

As always, if you'd like assistance, you know where I am.  :)

HTH
Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
Technical Editor, LINQ Programming:
   http://tinyurl.com/5lqroa [link goes to Amazon for book info]
... and other .NET books and publications

TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D provides .NET-related development and training
services