Ray,

I wasn't really looking for software packages to do the merge/purge.
We are already going to go with a packge, that upon trialing, seemed
to do a very good job, but for now I'll remain nameless, just because
I don't know if it's good or bad overall.

What we currently do is create a simple key, LN*FN[1,3]*location (either
zip[1,5] or country)
as we traverse the list of names in the file, the @ID is added to the Key item
<-1>. When we
are done, in the work file we keep only item<1> for each and that's our merged
file. It's
simple, but also has a lot of false failures, and misses some as well. We know
that, which
is why we went with a canned package.

I read a bunch of techniques, but could not realistically see how to put into a
fairly
simple process that would still complete it's analysis on a file in fair amount
of time
which being less than 5 min for 50,000 names.

If not using canned software, what are others (what methods) using for doing
their
Merge purging? Just fishing for other ideas other than the simple key method,
and one that
in general is not a 5 year project to program.

Since using the canned software, adds a few extra steps, and is external to UV,
I'd still like
to come up with a better merge purge.

George