Anthony Youngman wrote:
> Point 6 ...
> I know you think that c:\ibm is nasty, but be aware that (I
> think it's UV itself) does NOT like spaces in pathnames. I
> always accept the defaults, I've had some weird problems
> installing in Program Files, the space means various services
> fail to start.
> Cheers,
> Wol

Ignoring the technical focus for a minute: Doesn't anyone there
know how to use short paths?  Can't someone at IBM modify the
installation to prevent the use of long pathnames if the product
can't handle them?  This is installation code for an IBM product,
not a hack by some kid who writes Java code to work his way
through school.  Why do people tolerate an issue like this from
one release to another?  This is UD v7 and UV v10 in 2008, not v1
in 1995 (pre-long-path).

I know at least one U2 administrator here that has site protocols
about putting data into the C drive.  I can see a lot of sites
not accepting defaults and just needing to know that there are
issues with spaces in paths.

I keep all data in a separate \Data path anyway, separating
databases from the software that runs under them.  I can
understand if the U2 DBMS' don't like spaces in paths to data,
but there's no excuse for such restrictions on the OS code and
admin utilities.

> remove.thisNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/mv/2008/09/u2upgrade1.html
> Thanks to those who have helped on this so far.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
(See blog posting about new product, NebulaRemoteControl)