-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Israel, John R.
Sent: 13 October 2008 13:01
To: 'u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org'
Subject: RE: [U2] Universe Triggers

There is still a hole to the wrapper approach.

Assuming you are trying to catch folks that use the "ED" (or AE) command, we
have to assume that these folks have access to TCL.  If you can get to TCL,
and you are wanting to hide your tracks, you could still copy your record to
a dir file, then use an OS native editor to make your "sneaky" change (like
vi in Unix or Textpad in Windows), then copy the temp record back
overwriting the original.

You never used the "ED" command, but you were still able to change the data
w/o the wrapper detecting it.

Granted, the offender has to know they are being tracked and care enough to
take an approach like this, but it would not be hard to do.

A trigger would still detect this change, and so, IMHO, would be a more
reliable approach.  If used sparingly and wisely, triggers (and native
indexes) are great!

John Israel
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Dayton Superior Corporation