Much as I agree with Colin's comments on simply REMOVEing the two values you
want inside your loop, I can't help but think that Dave has some evil bad
stuff he needs to do with the rest of IN.LINE that relies on the raised mark
characters.

What I'd just like to point out though is that if there is a need to change
characters in the string and especially in the 85000 item IN.TAB it would be
considerably better to do that with CONVERT, RAISE(), or LOWER() than to use
multiple SWAPs.

CONVERT CHAR(9):CHAR(10) TO "" IN IN.TAB

Will do it all in a single pass and also since CONVERT can never extend the
string it can do the whole thing in place without a bunch of malloc()s.

If you were going with the original idea of processing an attribute at a
time and needed to work with @AM instead of @VM, you should use

IN.LINE=RAISE(IN.LINE)

instead of your SWAP statement because again this will be done in a single
pass without the need for malloc()ing additional memory.

KEN WALLIS
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]