-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Anthony
Youngman
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:04 AM
To: 'u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org'
Subject: RE: [U2] Counting records

Several things look a bit wonky to me here.

Firstly I'd get rid of the first three lines with
CMD = "COUNT ":FILENAME

Then the routine as shown here leaves a hanging select list - NOT a good
idea when the next person comes along and doesn't realise it.

I've never used it, but isn't there a form of EXECUTE that will return
the select list as a variable? I'd use that to "mop up" the select list.

Then I'd do
RCNT = @SELECTED
(iirc there is such an @ variable)

Failing any of those, after the execute, I'd do a READLIST to mop up the
select list, followed by a RCNT = DCOUNT( variable, @FM) to get the
count.

Oh - and I'd return RCNT in the first argument. Makes it a lot more
flexible - you can declare it as a function, call it from SUBR in
i-descriptors, whatever whatever.

Cheers,
Wol