I don't know if there is one, but, for text nodes in XML documents, you
could do:

value = change( value, '&',   '&' )
value = change( value, '<',   '&lt;'  )
value = change( value, '>',   '&gt;'  )
value = change( value, '#xD', '&#xD;' )

according to RFC 3076:

"Text Nodes - the string value, except all ampersands are replaced by &amp;,
all open angle brackets (<) are replaced by &lt;, all closing angle brackets
(>) are replaced by &gt;, and all #xD characters are replaced by &#xD;."

Other node types, notably attribute nodes, have other requirements that
differ from the above.

Best regards,

Henry

Henry P. Unger