Ken,
   Considering the nature of secondary indexes, and not just Universe, you
   should  never  count  on  an index built on a subroutine to be updated
   automatically. If Universe does this, it must be magic. ;-) The same goes
   for any dictionary definition that returns content from another file.
   Regards,
   Charlie Noah
   On 5/17/2009 9:15 PM, Ken Ford wrote:

>From my reading of the Universe documentation, secondary indices should be
automatically updated.  I have a case where a file has about 8 secondary
indices, some of which are updated automatically, and some seem not to be.  A
complete rebuild is done on all these indices each night.  There does not seem
to be anything significantly different about the ones that don't update
automatically.  They are I-descriptors that call a subroutine, but others like
these update automatically.  Any suggestions?  I am thinking I should delete
the indices in question, recreate them, and rebuild them.

Regards,
Ken Ford

Universe Software Engineer

[cid:image001.gif@01C9D7B2.503A0520]<http://www.firstmac.com.au/>

Phone:

(07) 3013 8686

Email:

ken.f...@firstmac.com.au<mailto:mark.b...@firstmac.com.au>

Web:

www.firstmac.com.au<http://www.firstmac.com.au/>

#############################################################################
########
This email (inc all attachments) is for the use of the intended recipient(s)
only.
Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this communication.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and then
delete all copies of this message from your computer network. If you are not
the
intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this
email
without the author's prior permission. If you are the intended recipient and
you do
not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in future, then please
respond to the sender to this effect.

We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but
advise you to carry out your own virus checks on this email and its
attachments. We
do not accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses and
do not
represent that this transmission is free from viruses or other defects.

FirstMac Limited (ABN 59 094 145 963)  (AFSL 290600)