Thanks Dawn,

There was no pricing for Datastage for U2 on the IBM website, and when I saw that they charge nearly 90.000 Pounds for Datastage for Oracle, I guessed that the U2 version would be a couple of ten thousand at least - knowing IBM prices. I also know that Cognos is rather expensive and to be honest I think it is quite 'buggy' and can be a real pain to work with too. I would have preferred MITS, but the company bought Cognos, and so I have to make the best out of it.

You see, most of the company's other divisions are already running on Oracle (Chess and Glovia.com) and only one, even though it is the biggest, is running Avante. I have only been there for a year and a half and even though I have shown them what really can be done with Unidata and SB+ it is too late now.

SQL Server 2008 is relatively cheap (processor licensing) and I actually find it not that hard to use DTS.
But from what I have seen of SSIS so far, it seems to be a lot better.
To set up a new table I just click on Import data, select save as DTS package and use the wizard to select the Unidata table I want to bring across. Then I usually just accept all the defaults and it then creates the table using the UniSQL schema for me automatically.
So DTS does most of the work for me already.
I then only have to change the Create table part to Truncate table, add a task to send me an email on fail and schedule the job to run every night at a certain time. And of course set the key and create indexes, but that is all done with a couple of mouse clicks as well. At night the system is only used to record the timesheets of the night shift on the shop floor, so I scheduled the first job to start running at 8pm and kick the next one off every couple of minutes. By 10 it's all done and if something failed there is an email waiting for me to tell me in the morning. If I need something you usually would use an ETL tool for, I create an I-descriptor. Works fine even with TRANS. And if push comes to shove I can always create a new file and populate it using a Basic program. That can then be scheduled to run from Unix long before DTS will attempt to download the table at night. I don't know if I will be using SQL Server for Oracle data once all divisions are on Oracle, since at the moment we use the Oracle data directly from Cognos. But we have several other systems that produce data as well and maybe I will use it to build a data warehouse for job costing purposes, KPIs and the like. Some of the queries we are running now on Oracle from Cognos take quite a long time to run, so it might be better to do it that way. The Cognos server already gets hammered at end of month time, and it will get worse the more divisions go live on Glovia.com.