We have a UV type 19 file set as a Samba share, and the share is mounted
as a drive letter on the UPS workstation.  UPS wrote a script for us
that exports tracking numbers into a CSV file on that drive after each
shipment is processed.  They also added an import function that runs
against the same file to pull in the customer name and address when the
shipping clerk scans a barcoded order #.  A cron job runs on the UV
server around every 5 minutes to add new orders to the CSV file, and
extract tracking #'s for the prior orders.  We do the same thing with
Fedex.

We've been doing this for the past 8 years, and it's been trouble free.
The only time we have an issue is when UPS or Fedex force a shipping
station software or hardware upgrade on us and they have to rewrite
their scripts.

-John