I have a customer using my Download Definition tool for SB+ who is reporting
a strange thing (at least to me).  When he kicks off a download (which is
effectively a tight optimized READNEXT loop extracting data, formatting it,
and writing it via WRITESEQ) it pegs a CPU - full on 100%.  Maybe I spend
too much time under a rock, but .... I have never seen a single Unidata
session peg a CPU on AIX - until now.

We've run Unidata profiling to try to get a handle on the issue and nearly
70% of the time (from the profile.elapse) is being invested in  the
SB.EVAL.EXP subroutine being called from the tool.  Of course, I have no
access to the source code for SB.EVAL.EXP but I have seen where complex SB+
stacks can definitely impact the performance of the tool.  Yet, in looking
at the stacks that are being used, all of them in the test case are simple
record extractions (i.e. R5 or R18,-1).  @RECORD is loaded before the stacks
are evaluated so there should be zero I/O being done in SB.EVAL.EXP and even
if there was I/O, how could this one subroutine peg a CPU?

-Kevin
http://www.PrecisOnline.com